“My name is Tasha Van Ausdall and I am writing this review so it can get the recognition that it deserves. I have know Gary and Carol for 8 years and have volunteered with the big cats. I have personally seen Gary and Carol sacrifice their own lives for the sake of abused, neglected and abandoned cats. These are not just pets but become family. My volunteer work with them has made a huge impact on my life and has been rewarding. It is therapeutic. Its not everyday that you can get tiger kisses and chuffs when they greet you. You leave with a sense of accomplishment. The work that is done at PrideRock is challenging but yet rewarding.” – Tasha Van Ausdall
Please fill out the application below, sign and return via mail to the address listed in the application.
Internships are for a period of three months and a non-paid position. We are always looking for enthusiastic individuals who are dedicated to educating themselves about big cats while maintaining very strict safety protocols. We strive to help interns gain experience and knowledge about big cats in captivity. We have tigers, lions and cougars and some of the job duties will include daily care and diet preparation , cleaning, light maintenance and some behavioral target training.
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- You must have at least 2 years of college study in a related field such as zoology, biology, wildlife management, etc., or at least 1 year of job experience in a related field, such as a zoo, vet clinic or another sanctuary.
- You must be in good physical condition and health, and able to lift at least 50 lbs
- You must be drug free
- You must be hard working, able to take initiative, motivated and dedicated
Timeframes for Internships
- Winter Term: November – February (Application Deadline August 1st)
- Spring Term: February – May (Application Deadline November 1st )
- Summer Term: May – August (Application Deadline February 1st)
- Fall Term: August – November (Application deadline May 1st)
- You should hear about the status of your application within 3-4 weeks after the deadline
- Applications are accepted year-round for all terms. Applications received after the deadline may still be considered if the positions have not been filled, but preference will be given to the ones received by the deadlines.
- You are expected to work full-time Monday – Saturday with light duties on Sunday and be expected to work in all weather conditions
- There will be some initial training on the care of the cats, after which you are involved in the daily food prep, feeding and cleaning of the feeding barn, cleaning of the enclosures and dens, light maintenance of the enclosures, providing enrichment to the cats, some behavioral target training as well as keeping the grounds maintained. Most importantly visual inspections of each cat to make sure they are healthy and happy!
Intern housing is now available onsite! No uniforms are provided since we are not open to the public. Comfortable, light-weight clothing in the summer heat is advisable with work boots or tennis shoes. In the winter (Nov. – March), you will need layers of clothing, gloves, and work boots, along with rain gear when needed. You will need to provide your own meals. Interns have an hour-long lunch break each day, for which the times may vary depending on the work schedule for the day.
Documents Needed to Apply:
- Application-(PDF download at top of page)
- Cover letter, including previous experience and/or education, why you have chosen PrideRock and what your goals are for the future
- Recent Photo
- Proof of a tetanus shot (within 3 years)
Important Notice: THERE IS NO DIRECT CONTACT WITH THE CATS except when the cat is sedated for a medical procedure under veterinarian care, and this has to be authorized by management! Direct Contact is defined as: any physical contact including reaching of limbs through gate openings, panels or chain link. Any and all violations involving physical contact with the cats is subject to immediate dismissal from the property. Due to insurance reasons and the welfare and safety of the cats, there are NO exceptions to this policy, except as stated above.